The quickest way to buy anything today is to use e-commerce. And it suits any kind of businesses either small or big.
Why? Because it gets you what you want, in your comfortable space.
Especially, in the age of pandemic 2020 many of us have bought groceries, medicines easily through online shopping.
Stats show that in 2021, there were a total of 263 million digital buyers in the U.S.and as projected by experts it is estimated to surpass 291.2 million which indicates that online shopping is no longer a luxury, but a part of life.
Selling products online has unlimited potential but isn't always as intuitive as it looks. To make it work for you, you have to do some research and this post is about that.
Though the competitive playground of e-commerce can present challenges that make starting an online business feel all the more daunting, knowing what products you want to sell, figuring out who your customers are and finding a way to deliver those products seamlessly into your customers hands can make your work impressive and simple.
There are endless opportunities in online shopping. But where should you start?
What are some essential things needed for an online store?
You want to start a business because you want to make money by growing sales, but that doesn't mean you can simply throw any product online and people will buy it, not so. Some important things you should never forget before you start online store –
BRAND- It is always believed and said, First impression is the best impression. That impression comes with choosing the right brand name.
Give a catchy, intriguing brand name that has the potential to capture your audience and attract them to your website.
WEBSITE- Like your company name, the visual elementsof your site will be strongly tied to how customers perceive your brand.
Prospective customers look for web design first, so it’s crucial to prioritize taking high-quality product photography and choosing a color palette first, and then consider elements such as videos, typography, animation etc that adds advantage to your business.
MARKETING- Marketing your brand to attract a steady flow of customers is very important. Using techniques such as email newsletters, paid advertising and SEO capabilities, will get your name out there before customers even see your product.
Social media marketing can be used to highlight your new products and customers who use your products, by providing links that lead back to your online store.
SHIPPING- Decide which shipping carrier works best with your budget, service, and calculate the appropriate shipping rates.
Also, keep in mind that you have to absorb the cost and potential building to ship the cost into your product pricing if you give on free shipping.
Use real-time rates provided by the shipping company so that you don’t charge low or high.
COMMODITIZED PRODUCTS- These products are highly essential for everyone that makes quick and high sales. For instance, in Amazon, Zomato we look for clothes, electronic gadgets, food and snacks preferably high these days.
NICHE PRODUCTS- These are unique, handmade products, making some of the most popular items bought online. For instance, Unique antique necklace. By offering both niche and commodity products, you will be able to serve better by making your online store a convenient choice for consumers looking for a single store to buy both types of products.
PASSIONATE PRODUCTS- Being passionate about what you do will not only help carry you through hard times, but it will aid in crafting a brand message that speaks to people in a way that is meaningful, authentic and engaging.
Emotionally invest your product, you can better deliver its value and mission into the market. With a story to it, helps you stand out to competitors.
SPOT OPPORTUNITIES- Keeping up to date with what’sgoing on in the world will help you identify new online business opportunities.
Evaluate your strengths and interests. Gather resources, both human and technical, to bring your online business to life. Having an organized approach to both product and growth launch will boost you well in the future.
C'mon now, here’s your 10-step guide for how to sell a product online.
1. Conduct Market Research
Before choosing your product, think about which markets are competitive and which markets have the potential for growth. Choose a market field that suits your passion and go from there.
After that determine what value you can offer in your market.
- Are customers willing to buy your product or service?
- How much are they willing to pay?
- How satisfied are people with the existing products in your market?
- What features do people value?
- What are your potential customers’ pain points ?
These kinds of questions will get you the right audience and the right price point for your product or service.
2. Choose your products
This is the most crucial step in the process, as every other aspect of your business revolves around what you’re selling.
You can choose a niche product which reduces the competition and gives you the opportunity for growth.
For instance, a sportswear person may have confusion when choosing which branded shoes he/she can wear. When you place a specific type of product related to sports, such as athlete running shoes, you can position yourself easier in the market and invest more time and energy into your product.
3. Know your target audience
You should have a comprehensive understanding of your target audience, which will make you make informed decisions about marketing and advertising, leading to more customers and more money.
Survey potential customers. Simple ! Like -
- How old are they? Where do they live? What is their annual income?
- Identify industry trends. Look at the market to see how other companies are marketing themselves, and identify what makes you stand out.
- Analyze competitors. How are your biggest competitors selling online?
- Build buyer personas.
- Gather data and conduct surveys to know your right customers better.
4. Research ecommerce platform
Do some research on what kind of ecommerce platform you would like to sell on, like Amazon, eBay, Facebook or any other online markets.
SaaS ecommerce platforms on the market allow you to sell products online for a set monthly fee, regardless of how technically skilled you are.
5. Brand your Business
As said in the beginning branding is important hence shaping your brand identity as unique and appealing to your customers much expected.
- Make your brand more creative like cartoon characters - as persons.
- Express your brand in simple language, creative logo, catchy apt images with proper colors.
- Choose your words carefully to project your brand’s identity - this is your brand voice.
6. Create Product Content
Unless you’re a well-established business, you have to wear many of the hats like photographer, content creator, editor etc by yourself.
- Make sure your product photos are high-quality with your brand image.
- Keep your product descriptions brief, yet creative.
- Choose engaging, descriptive language.
- Add some fun with the content.
- Provide discounts and giveaways to encourage customer reviews and testimonials.
7. Build your online store
Building an online store isn't so easy but doable.
- Design a beautiful online store without writing a single line of code. Many platforms offer this.
- Incorporate the elements of your brand identity in your website.
- Make sure your website design makes it easy for shoppers to find your products.
- Write specifications about products and include details about shipping.
- Upload your product catalog and successfully market your brand.
- Choose the best platform that suits your needs.
8. Set Payments and Shipping
When someone makes a purchase, be sure information is stored using customer relationship management (CRM) software.
- Collect payments.
- Send order notifications.
- Follow up customers after purchase.
- Keep in touch to build customer loyalty.
- Include Payment processing fees for free shipping.
- Include packaging cost and provide tracking ID to track order.
9. Promote your Store
Create a strategy to market your potential customers and start driving traffic to your store through —
- Social Media - Use hashtags and paid ads to expand your reach.
- Google advertising - Retarget your visitors by reminding them of your products.
- Encourage your customers to spread the word.
- Email Marketing - Drive traffic to your website by growing an email list.
- Content Marketing - Publish blog posts to bring organic traffic to your site.
- Influencer marketing - Send free samples to celebrities in your niche.
- Niche Groups - Connect with your target market on this platform.
- Start a channel to showcase your products.
- Discounts and Promotions.
10. Refine your Approach
All the above steps are manageable if you can make it suitable according to your needs.
It is not mandatory to have this same approach,you should change the momentum when it's expected.
The important thing is to take your first step slowly and steadily before you know it, you’ll be riding momentum toward your goals.
This post has given a way to sell products online, not difficult as it seems.You can also sell innovative products that you design from your home.This convenience is a big reason online shopping is increasingly becoming the default mode for many shoppers.
When you sell online, you meet customers exactly where they’re looking for you and can take your business to the next level. Make sure you implement this steps according to your business.